Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ireland 2010

The overnight flight was fine, with no snags. Thanks, Continental airlines for managing so well.   In fact, we arrived at Shannon airport about an hour early.  I picked up a Nissan Micra, also snaglessly, which was a relief.  I wasn’t completely sure that Budget rental would indeed lease to a seasoned citizen such as myself.  But the nice woman gave me no trouble.  Don’t noise it about.

Peter and Elaine Clifford are my hosts at Anagore Cottage.  I have stayed with them in years past, but my former cottage apartment is now a beautiful great-room.  I’ll attach a pic.  They told me last evening that Neil Keogh, Winnie's son, did the renovation.  I'll include a few more pics later on.  


A highlight of my first day was an afternoon visit with Winnie, her granddaughters Kate and Sarah, her son, Gerald and family friend Monty.   To top it off, we had tea and scones and brack (sp?) bread with a ring buried inside.  It’s a Halloween custom.  

As yet, the adventure has been low key.  I did receive a rousing welcome from Peig, the blond terrier mix who still lives here at Anagore Cottage.  I swear she remembers me.  It’s a good time for me to have that little dog nearby.  She’s wild as ever.  I remember that a few years back, she jumped into the car through the open window as I drove in the driveway.  

Tuesday, I got my bearings again while driving to Ennis and Bunratty.  The weather?  I’ve decided not to mention it if it’s raining.  Just assume the landscape is being hydrated, as it often does on this very green island.

Wednesday (today, day 3), I may take the train from the new station in Sixmilebridge and go into Limerick for a look-see.   I heard that one can now drive south without going through Limerick.  There’s a new tunnel under the River Shannon.  Imagine that!

More later…

No comments: