Saturday, November 6, 2010

Ennis by Irish Rail

Actually it was a pleasant experience.   The Golden Trekker pass seemed to be okay with the conductor.  I’m not sure if I actually believed I could use it without a bit of bother from someone.  But, hey, it did work!  The train was clean and new and the trip was as smooth as a sled down a hill of packed snow.  (I'm working on my similes.)

I nicely got my daily walk in and found Ennis, the county town, busy. The town itself is but a five minute walk from the station. It was lunch time and I wanted to eat at a familiar lunch place near The Visitor’s Center (Centre).  I did find it-- The Country Kitchen--down a close-by alleyway and gratefully sat and devoured a quiche and salad.  A friendly lady from Boste (I think) sat next to me.  We talked about my holiday and ‘how was I enjoying it?’  She told me she has a sister-in-law in St. Paul, Minnesota.  I asked about her brother and was told, ‘oh he’s back in Ireland for good.’  We laughed at that for some reason.

While walking the streets and wondering where the heck I was, I spotted a charming passenger in a slow moving car.  He seemed to like me.  The driver gave me permission to take a picture.   


After locating The Visitor’s Center I obtained free maps and brochures.  Then, I located the church spire which was my landmark back to the train station.


Instead of getting off at Sixmilebridge, I rode into Limerick where I tried to get my pass for next week.  Certain rules prevented it, so I will have to go back next week.  Could be worse.  I could have to pay for the rides, which are compliments of Golden Trekker. 

Then it was the smooth ride back to Sixmilebridge, this time full of passengers from Limerick going possibly to Ennis or Galway after work.  I was happy to find my car waiting for me in the parking lot. Evening was once again restful, conversing with Peter and Elaine about favorite movies.  They have quite a collection.   Tomorrow—not sure what I’ll do.  More later…
                        

No comments: