Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Quick Recap of Galway

It was sunny and dry.  Iarod Eirann (Rail Ireland) seems very well run.  I nearly missed the train this morning as I was running late and lo and behold I didn’t have even a minute before the train arrived.  Forgot my umbrella and sunglasses in the rush.  I think I like Galway.  It hums and bustles and is very pedestrian-friendly.  People seem right at home there, yet I have heard  many languages being spoken as I ‘loped’ along. I chose for lunch the lovely and traditional Griffiths Bakery and Restaurant.  I believe I’ll make it ‘my’ restaurant. 


I’m afraid I cut my visit short, because I was nervous I'd miss the train for want of finding my way back to the station.  I think I’ll go again, leave home earlier and see Eyre Square decorated for Christmas.  I also hear there’s a nice museum and a Spanish Arch. I didn’t take many pics for some reason.  Below are a couple taken as I waited for the train at Galway Gate 2 for Limerick.  
http://www.galwaynews.ie/14428-eyre-square-become-christmas-wonderland
http://www.galwayonline.com/sights/arch.html

I found that folks are very open to chatting and imparting information.  In my conversation with 2 couples, one from Gort and one from Ennis I learned about a direct rail route to Dublin, which I might try.  One lady challenged me to learn to play bridge, which is her passion now that her family is grown. She finds bridge players all over the world.  It's something to consider.

Wednesday (this morning) Winnie and I are driving to Clare Castle for a visit to a senior facility.  Not sure what I'll find, but hope it might open up communication between ClareCastle in Clare Michigan and the 'real' Clare Castle.   More later...




No comments: