Sunday, November 8, 2009

Quin Abbey, Quin, County Clare


 

Quin Abbey, Quin, County Clare, Ireland

Quin Abbey is an amateur photographer's dream.  You find yourself trying to capture the beauty and serenity of the place.  From the road where the car is parked, you enter a swinging gate and begin to walk the pasture towards the abbey ruins.  You may be sharing the space with a cow or two on the way.  Then you come upon another gate and a sign which tells of the 14th and 15th century history.  Through the gate you enter a still-used cemetery, and if you're blessed and there's a caretaker there, you may be allowed into the ruins.  Click on the picture to get a closer look or check the link below for more historical data.  Everytime I'm in Ireland, I manage at least two trips to Quin.  Besides my obvious love of the abbey and surrounding countryside, I always pay the folks at the Monks Well a visit.  It is situated just a short walk from the abbey and has the best seafood chowder I've ever had.  You can check with Becky or Janice or Sharon or Maura to bear me out.


Meanwhile, back at the townhouse---Worship was good this morning at Good Shepherd Presbyterian Church in Charlotte.  I was challenged after hearing about an unselfish little boy who shared his lunch with Jesus.  Jesus took the gift and blessed the hungry folks with more than enough to eat.  The challenge being--what little we have to give to the work of Christ can amount to a great deal in the lives of others.  God does the miracles; we get to help.

All is still quiet on the house sale front.  It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out, for I think a special someone is looking for a place just like this one and will show up fairly soon to take possession.  I'll ruminate on that as I digest my lunch.  Becky, Gail and I ate at the Monterey and had a good visit.  Now for a quiet Sunday afternoon.  More later....


No comments: